Monday, April 18, 2011

Lean Not Unto Thine Own Understanding

I have had a recent experience with a family member who used to believe as I believe and has decided to leave the church and start a new way of living and understanding. I have had a hard time with this. What is out there that made him change his mind? He tells me how much happier he is, how can this be with what we know? Most importantly, this guy is a very smart dude. How can I be smart and learned, learn secular things and still not fall into traps that take me from the Gospel that I love and the God that I believe in?

Turning to the scriptures is the answer to all of these questions. First I looked up "antichrist" in the Book of Mormon institute manual. There were so many addresses from Prophets and Apostles that pertained to exactly how I was feeling. First and foremost, their counsel was to not get involved in arguments with these people who have abandoned God and seek to preach to others. Love them, pray for them, but don't bible bash- truth is the person that I am speaking of knows exactly what I am going to say and feel before I say it. He had the same teachings that I did. There is no point. Things are taught and maintained by the Spirit. No one can refute what you feel in your heart. So keep the Spirit- you can't do that when you have contention.

In addressing the question of how we can be smart and learn everything out there and remain faithful... well a scripture popped into my head. Just a line really- I am sure I could find it fast but I can't tell you where it is off the top of my head, "Lean not unto thine own understanding" So learning is good. Do it! But don't  be so prideful and "puffed up" to think that only things that can be explained by scientific evidence are the only truths out there. In humility, realize that God is all-knowing, he knows what the most "learned" know because he created it. Created it all! In 2 Nephi 27 Isaiah speaks of the sealed book and that the "learned shall not read them for they have rejected them" but the man who is not leanred shall say "I am not learned. Then the Lord God shall say unto him.... I am able to do mine own work; wherefore thou shalt read the words which I shall give unto thee" I didn't quote the entire passage as there is so much more but what it said to me was that the so-called wise guy- sees the sealed book and can't read with his eyes and says that it can't be read. The unlearned man sees the sealed book and tells God that in his weakness he can not read the sealed book. God says he will reveal it when he seeth fit. He can't read it with his eyes but God can reveal the miracles to Him in his heart.  2 Nephi 27:25 "Foras much as this people draw near unto me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their hearts far from me, and their fear towards me is taught by the precepts of men-Therefore I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, yea, a marvelous work and a wonder, for the wisdom of their wise and learned shall perish and the understanding of their prudent shall be hid"

I am so grateful that I had the chance to get an education, I hope I can keep learning. I hope I can be humble- I feel myself confused about things too often which means I am relying too much on my own understanding. I need to allow the Savior in his Atonement to not only take the obvious burdens, but also the confusion, doubts, and vacancies of my mind and trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment