Sunday, October 20, 2013

Patience and more...

"The promises of the Lord, if perhaps not always swift, are always certain". I feel like this is something to remember.

"Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. It means reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. It means resisting evil, even when it appears to be making others rich." Elder Uchtdorf - April 2010

Patience is process of perfection. The Savior Himself said that in your patience you possess your souls. 11  Or, to use another translation of the Greek text, in your patience you win mastery of your souls. 12  Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the 
receiving that we grow the most. This was true in the time of the Savior. It is true in our time as well, for we are commanded in these latter days to “continue in patience until ye are perfected.”

1. Delaying immediate gratification for future blessings
2. Reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. 
3. Resisting evil even when it appears to make others rich.
4. Mastering your soul
5. Abiding in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most. 
6. Becoming perfect

When have I been patient? 
-When I have completed a project steadily (whether it be cleaning the house, organizing a room, or a craft for the house) without feeling rush or anxiety to complete it. 
- When I have held my mean tongue to consider my husbands perspective
- When I have taken a deep breath and explained to the kids what they did was wrong rather than yelling at them. 
- When I have held back the hurt I have felt caused from another until I could either get over it, or address it calmly with them. 
- When I have excused myself from my shortcomings and pressed on trying to be better.

When am I impatient?
- driving!
- with myself when I go against what I promised myself I would do (like be on time)
- when I have cussed or let "word vomit" spew from my mouth
- yell at the kids
- hurried Jarom along without appreciating his personality
- when I've let myself get discouraged with how much I have to do, the things I need to change, the house etc... Discouragement is impatience with oneself. Heavenly Father would never want us to be discouraged. Discouragement is a loss of hope, a lack of faith in the future and your ability to improve. Discouragement comes from Satan. A rebuke- yes, a feeling of sorrow at the behavior- yes, a will to change- yes, but complete and utter discouragement- never. 

If nothing else, I can be patient with myself, then add to that my family, and then others and so on... 


No comments:

Post a Comment